In this recipe post, I am going to show you how I make a proper Teesside Chicken Parmo. The Chicken Parmo or Teesside Parmesan is a dish that originated in Middlesbrough, Teesside. It is made up of breaded chicken covered with white béchamel sauce and topped with cheddar cheese. I grew up in a small town very close to Teesside and have tried many variations of the chicken parmo. You can buy parmos in takeaways and pubs all across the North-East of England but in my experience, the best ones come from Teesside. This recipe is pretty close to the real deal and also very simple to make. If you give this proper Teesside chicken parmo recipe a try you won’t be disappointed!
Check out the recipe video below!
Remember to LIKE and SUBSCRIBE to my YouTube Channel
This recipe makes 2 servings.
2 x Chicken Breast
30ml x Milk
2 x Eggs
300g x Flour
300g x Breadcrumbs
Salt & Pepper
40g x Cheddar Cheese
Ingredients for the Béchamel Sauce
30g x Butter
30g x Flour
300ml x Milk
1/4 teaspoon x Ground Nutmeg
Salt & Pepper
- Begin by taking the chicken breasts and butterflying them. Cut through the chicken breast lengthways until you can open them like a book as shown in the recipe video.
- Next, place the butterflied chicken between two sheets of greaseproof paper and flatten using a meat tenderiser or rolling pin until the chicken is around 1cm thick.
- Place the breadcrumbs onto a plate and set them aside. Do the same with 300g of flour and add a pinch of salt and pepper to it. In a bowl mix 2 eggs with 30ml of milk.
- To coat the chicken in breadcrumbs, start by placing it in the seasoned flour on both sides and then into the egg mixture, followed by the breadcrumbs. Make sure the chicken is completely covered in breadcrumbs.
- Now, make the béchamel sauce by melting the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Once melted add in the flour and stir. Cook this for 2 minutes while stirring to prevent it from burning. Next, add in the milk a little bit at a time, constantly stirring with a whisk until the milk is fully incorporated and you have a smooth sauce. Add in salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Gently simmer for 5 minutes remembering to stir often.
- Heat a deep fat fryer to 180°C-350°F and deep fry the chicken for 3-5 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Place the fried chicken onto a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper and pour the béchamel sauce over the chicken. Grate the cheddar cheese over the top and place under a hot grill until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
Thanks for reading!
I hope you enjoyed my Proper Teesside Chicken Parmo Recipe. You can see more of my recipes here.