In this recipe post, I am going to show you how to make traditional Hot Cross Buns as well as how to form the same dough into a stunning Hot Cross Loaf! The loaf if great for cutting a slice and popping it into the toaster. In my opinion you can’t beat serving these toasted with butter and a good cup of tea. Here is my Hot Cross Buns Recipe.
Check out the recipe video below!
Remember to LIKE and SUBSCRIBE to my YouTube Channel
This recipe makes 6 Buns and 1 Loaf or 12 Buns or 2 loaves.
Ingredients for the dough
450g x Strong White Flour
80g x Caster Sugar
125g x Sultanas
7g x Fast Action Yeast
75ml x Milk
125ml x Warm Water
50g x Salted Butter (Melted)
1 x Egg (beaten)
1 x Orange (Zest only)
2 teaspoons x Mixed Spice
1/2 teaspoon x Ground Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon x Ground Nutmeg
For The Cross
50g x Plain Flour
20g x Caster Sugar
45ml x Water
For the Glaze
65ml x Milk
30g x Caster Sugar
- Begin by placing 75ml of milk and 125ml of warm water into a jug. Add in the dried yeast, mix and set to one side to active for around 10 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl add the flour, sugar, orange zest, sultanas, mixed spice, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the yeast mixture followed by the beaten egg and melted butter.
- Mix to form a dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and begin kneading. Knead for roughly 5 to 10 minutes until the dough feels smooth.
- Place into a bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Prove for at least 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- After one hour, the dough is ready to turn out onto the surface again and knead for 1 minute to knock the air out. Divide the dough into 2.
- To make the buns, cut one half into six equal-sized pieces. Roll into balls and place onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Firmly press down with your hand to flatten. Leave a small space between each one to allow space to rise. Cover and prove again for 40 minutes.
- For the loaf, cut one half into 8 equal pieces and roll into balls. Place them side by side in a loaf tin. Cover and allow to rise for 40 minutes.
- After the second prove, prepare the cross mixture by mixing all cross ingredients together. Pipe the cross mixture onto the buns and loaf and place into a preheated oven at 180°C – 356°F for 40 minutes or until golden on top.
- Make the glaze be dissolving the sugar into the milk and brush onto the top of the buns and loaf as soon as they come out of the oven.
Thanks for reading.
I hope you enjoyed my Hot Cross Buns Recipe. You can check out more of my recipes here.
Visit the TJR MinT Shop to purchase my e-cookbook TJR MinT Recipe Cards – Every Home Cook Should Have