This delicious dish originates from South Asia, the Caribbean and is also very popular in South America. Generally speaking, almost any country where it’s possible to grow bananas, you can find a version of these tasty snacks. If you travel to one of these places you will definitely find them among the many street food choices available. They are not only mouth-wateringly appetizing but also very easy to make. You will only need a few ingredients and no special cooking skills to achieve perfection. Initially, I had some over-ripe bananas that I wanted to use up, so I created these Golden Banana Fritters with Cinnamon Sugar & Chocolate-Honey Drizzle.
This will make 18 fritters
3 x Bananas
Sunflower Oil (for deep frying)
For the Batter
100g x Plain Flour
1 tsp x Bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp x Baking Powder
1 x Egg
150ml x Milk
1/2 tsp x Ground Cinnamon
For the Cinnamon Sugar
80g x Caster Sugar
1 tsp x Ground Cinnamon
For the Drizzle
100g x Dark Chocolate
50ml x Boiling Water
20g x Runny Honey
1. Prepare the bananas by peeling and cutting them in half lengthways, then cut each half into 3.
2. Next, make the batter by placing the flour, bicarb, baking powder and cinnamon into a bowl. Make a well in the centre.
3. Crack the egg into the centre and add in the milk. Whisk until the batter is completely smooth.
4. Dip the banana pieces into the batter and carefully deep fry in hot oil until golden (only takes 1-2 minutes each side) remove and place onto kitchen paper to drain the excess oil.
5. To make the cinnamon sugar, simply mix the caster sugar and ground cinnamon. Roll the fried but still warm banana fritters into the sugar mixture until fully coated.
6. For the chocolate drizzle, break the dark chocolate into small pieces and place into a heatproof bowl. Next, add in 50ml of boiling water straight from the kettle. Stir together until the chocolate has fully melted and you have a smooth sauce. Stir in 20ml of runny honey and your sauce is complete.
7. Drizzle the Chocolate sauce onto the fritters or serve as a dipping sauce on the side.
Visit the TJR MinT Shop for my ebook. TJR MinT Recipe Cards – Every Home Cook Should Have