Onions are extremely versatile in cooking, almost every dish starts with a base of onions. They develop a whole range of flavours depending on variety and also cooking technique, from a sharp acidic flavour as a raw ingredient to a mild and sweeter flavour after slow cooking. These unique vegetables are not only used as part of a dish but can also stand out in their own right. This comforting Simple Creamy Onion Soup is the perfect celebration of this wonderful ingredient.
I would suggest serving this soup with melted mature cheddar cheese on toast, lightly seasoned croutons, crispy pancetta/smoky bacon or roasted pumpkin seeds.
4 x Medium Brown Onion
1 x Leek
4 – 6 x Cloves of Garlic
600ml x Vegetable Stock or Chicken Stock
100ml x Double Cream (or dairy-free alternative)
1 tbsp x Olive Oil
Sea Salt & Black Pepper (to taste)
1. Begin by placing a large saucepan over medium heat and adding in the olive oil.
2. Next, roughly chop the onions and leeks and add them into the pan.
3. Add a pinch of sea salt, give them a stir and leave them to cook until the onions are transparent and soft.
4. Now, peel the cloves of garlic, cut them in half and add them into the pan. Cook for a further 2 minutes.
5. Next, add in the vegetable stock or chicken stock and cook for 15 minutes.
6. Take the pan off the heat and blend until smooth using a stick blender.
7. Place back onto the heat and stir in the cream along with a pinch of salt and black pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed to suit your taste. Feel free to swap out the double cream for any dairy-free cream or milk alternatives.
TJR MinT Tip – When I’m seasoning I generally always use sea salt. In fact, from the wide variety of sea salt brands on the market, my favourite is the Maldon Salt Company. The reason I prefer this brand is, of course, because of the pure and natural taste, but also because the sea salt crystals are still made by using traditional artisan methods. The Maldon Salt Company is a family-run business dating back to 1882 here in the UK.
Sweet and Salty flavours compliment each other beautifully so why don’t you try out my Salted Caramel Sauce Recipe? It’s the perfect crown to top almost any dessert!
Visit the TJR MinT Shop for my ebook. TJR MinT Recipe Cards – Every Home Cook Should Have