This one was a bit of a store cupboard recipe and what I mean by that is, frantically going through the kitchen cupboards and fridge to see what ingredients I can find to concoct a delicious evening meal. I get a bit of a thrill when I’m creating Ready Steady Cook style dishes like this. Just when you think the cupboards are bare, yet another tasty recipe is created. Here is my recipe for Moreish Miso Mushrooms with Cheddar Polenta.
Ingredients for the Cheddar Polenta
100g x Polenta
300ml x Water
300ml x Whole Milk
100g x Mature Cheddar Cheese (grated)
1 x Vegetable Stock Cube
Ingredients for the Miso Mushrooms
500g Chestnut Mushrooms (cut into quarters)
1 x Medium Onion (diced)
2 x Cloves of Garlic (crushed)
2 tsp x Miso Paste
1 Tbsp x Soy Sauce
2 Tbsp x Water
Ground Black Pepper
1 Tbsp x Olive Oil
20g x Butter
1 x Spring Onion (finely sliced)
- 1. To make the polenta, bring 300ml of whole milk and 300ml of water to the boil over medium heat in a saucepan. Once boiling reduce the heat and add in the vegetable stock cube.
- 2. You will need a whisk. Whisking constantly gradually add in the polenta. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to low and cover the pan. Cook, whisking every 10–15 minutes until thickened and is no longer gritty. This will take 30–35 minutes.
- 3. Remove from the heat and stir in the grated mature cheddar cheese until melted. Season to taste with Sea salt. If your polenta becomes too thick you can loosen it up again with a splash of milk or water.
- 4. Place a heavy frying pan over high heat and add in the olive oil. Once the pan is HOT add in the quartered mushrooms and cook. You want to brown the mushrooms to create the Maillard Reaction this is very important to develop that true umami flavour. Partway through cooking the mushrooms add in the butter, this will add flavour and also help with browning. Remove from the pan and set to one side.
- 5. Place the frying pan back over medium heat and add in the diced onion and cook until soft. Next, add in the garlic, this can be crushed or finely diced. You can buy a garlic press here. Cook for 2-3 minutes stirring occasionally.
- 6. Add the cooked mushrooms back to the pan including any of the juice that may have come from the mushrooms while resting, followed by the miso paste and soy sauce. Cook for 5 minutes over low-medium heat.
- 7. Finish by adding a grind of black pepper or/and a light sprinkle of chilli flakes followed by 2 tablespoons of water to create a little bit of sauce. cook for one minute.
- 8. To serve place the cheesy polenta into a bowl or plate followed by a generous helping of mushrooms. Top it with a good sprinkle of freshly sliced spring onions.
That’s it! Moreish Miso Mushrooms with Cheddar Polenta topped with freshly sliced Spring Onion. Enjoy!