Savoury Soufflés or Soufflés of any kind have the power of setting fear into any cooking enthusiast! Including me! However, if you accept that they are going to sink within 30 seconds of leaving the oven but are still going to be unbelievably delicious, then I think dreaded soufflé fear will fade away. This Mature Cheddar and Spring Onion Soufflé is a real winner. This is a great starter or side to any main meal. If you take your time and follow each step carefully I’m sure you will have fantastic results. Go on, Give this one a try.
This recipe will make 4 Soufflés.
90g x Mature Cheddar
2 x Spring Onions
40g x Plain Flour
40g x Butter
200ml x Whole milk
4 x Egg Yolks
4 x Egg Whites
Pinch x Nutmeg
- 1. Firstly, before starting the fun stuff rub four ramekin moulds with butter and dust with a little flour. Preheat your oven to 220°C.
- 2. Place your saucepan over medium heat and place 40g of butter into the pan and allow it to melt. Once the butter has melted add the plain flour and stir using a wooden spoon. This is called a Roux. Cook your roux while continually stirring for 3-4 minutes
- 3. Next, gradually add the milk one splash at a time until it is fully combined with the butter and flour mixture.
- 4. At this stage, finely chop the spring onions and add them to the pan followed by a small grating of nutmeg and a good pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
- 5. Now it’s time to grate the mature cheddar cheese and add it to the pan. Stir until the cheese has melted and then take the pan off the heat and set to one side.
- 6. Whisk your egg whites until they reach stiff peaks.
- 7. Beat the egg yolk into the cheese mixture and then begin to gently fold in your egg whites one spoonful at a time until fully incorporated.
- 8. Pour your soufflé mixture into the ramekin moulds and place onto a baking tray. Fill the baking tray with boiling water until halfway up the ramekins.
- 9. Turn your oven down to 200°C and place your soufflés inside. Cook for 30 minutes until golden brown. Do not open the oven until the 30-minute timer is up! Serve immediately!
- I served mine with a simple parsley sauce but it also works really well on its own. If you would like to make the parsley sauce this is how you do it.
- Add 200ml of double cream, 20g of butter, 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley and a pinch of salt and pepper into a pan and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes or until it reaches the consistency you desire.
Thanks for reading!